Shared Principles on Sustainability
Organizations within the 'We Are Golf' coalition have developed a statement on sustainability and environmental principles. This indicates a commitment to continual improvement in the design, construction and management of golf facilities so they may provide long-term economic, social and environmental benefits to communities.
The undersigned U.S. allied golf associations and their professional members are committed to managing and conserving resources and inputs, and reducing waste, while providing quality playing conditions for golfers of today and tomorrow.
To this end, the U.S. golf industry pledges its support for the International Golf Federation's Statement on Sustainability, issued at the IGF's October 2012 biennial meeting in Antalya,Turkey. The undersigned governing bodies, golf associations and professional organizations together with the official governing bodies of more than 150 nations worldwide, recognize this important effort to clarify and support the essential principles and practices of sustainability, so that together the golf community can continue to advance the game.
In so doing, we reaffirm our responsibility to embrace a sustainable business philosophy for the game by integrating environmental stewardship, community benefits and economic viability as critical and ongoing goals.
To help the game realize these important goals, our professional members will:
- design, construct and manage environmentally responsible golf courses in an economically viable manner
- commit to continual improvement in the design, development, construction and management of golf courses
- provide ecological and economic benefits to communities
- provide and protect habitat for wildlife and plant species
- recognize that every golf course must be developed and managed with consideration for the unique conditions of the ecosystem of which it is a part
- provide important green space benefits
- use natural resources efficiently
- respect adjacent land use when planning, constructing, maintaining and operating golf courses
- create desirable playing conditions through practices that preserve environmental quality
- support ongoing research to scientifically establish new and better ways to design, construct and manage golf courses in harmony with the environment
- document outstanding development and management practices to promote more widespread implementation of environmentally sound golf
- educate golfers and developers about the principles of environmental responsibility and promote the value of environmentally sound golf courses.
Additional information and resources on sustainability and golf are available in our Environment section on the WE ARE GOLF website